Geologic Overview of Idaho
Idaho has a complicated geologic history which is reflected in its physical geography. A shaded relief map of Idaho shows the mountain ranges, and the major cities to give an idea of how the state is subdivided by its geography.
"Idaho from the Air" pdf slideshow is a compilation of aerial photos taken by Paul Link. They give a unique perpective of the Idaho landscape.
The geologic provinces of Idaho are briefly summarized in the table below. A geologic time scale is included to help with the perspective of the great amount of time that geologic history spans..
Idaho River Drainages
Below are links to animations of the drainages in Idaho, broken down by regions of Idaho.
Click here for an animation of Southern Idaho Rivers.
Click here for an animation of Central Idaho Rivers.
Click here for an animation of Northern .
Resources recommended to accompany the Idaho Geology course are listed below.
Many are included as pdf files throughout the website.
- Alt, D. and Hyndman, D., 1989, Roadside Geology of Idaho, Mountain Press, Missoula, Mt.
- Digital Atlas of Idaho: http://imnh.isu.edu/digitalatlas
- Link, P. K. and Phoenix, E. C., 1996, 2nd Edition, "Rocks, Rails, and Trails" , Idaho Museum of Natural History. (available digitally on the Digital Atlas of Idaho website)
- Orr, W. N. and Orr, E. L., 2002, (2006 reissue), Geology of the Pacific Northwest , Waveland Press, Long Grove, Il, 337 p.
- Vallier, T., 1998, Islands and Rapids: A geologic story of Hells Canyon, Confluence Press, Lewiston, ID 151p.
Publications resulting from this NSF grant include:
- James R. Cash, J.R., Lewis, R.S., and Sturgis, D.J., Photographs of the Geology of central and northern Idaho : Idaho Geological Survey Information Circular I-62 http://www.idahogeology.org/
- Link, P.K., Lewis, R.S., and Stanford, L., 2008 in review, Geologic Map of Idaho, Idaho Geological Survey, scale 1:500,000.
- Long, Sean P. and Link, Paul K., 2007, Geologic Map Compilation of the Malad City 30 x 60 Minute Quadrangle, Idaho, Idaho Geological Survey Map: T-07-1, scale 1:100,000.
- Rodgers, D.W., et al., 2006. Geologic Map of the Inkom Quadrangle, Bannock County, Idaho, Idaho Geological Survey Map: T-06-2, Scale: 1:24,000.
Specific research papers and field trip guides are listed under each module.